Wang Wenfeng gets death sentence for murdering a taxi driver...

Justice is served. The Chinese national, Wang Wenfeng was found guilty and given the death sentence for the murder of a taxi driver.

The report says that Wang Wenfeng is an odd-job labourer. Kind of a puzzle that we need a foreign talent to be employed as an odd-job labourer!

A 32-year-old Chinese national was found guilty on Wednesday and given the death sentence for the murder of a taxi driver two years ago.

In an attempted robbery, Wang Wenfeng had inflicted deep stab wounds on Mr Yuen Swee Hong during a struggle in the SMRT taxi, resulting in the victim bleeding to death.

According to earlier reports, the 58-year-old cabby had picked Wang outside Sun Plaza in Sembawang during the wee hours of April 11, 2009. Wang said he wanted to go to Bottle Tree Village.

While in the taxi, Wang held a fruit knife to Mr Yuen's chest and a struggle broke out.

Despite multiple versions from Wang about what happened during the tussle, Justice Lee Seiu Kin said in High Court today that there was no doubt of an intention to inflict injuries which were enough to cause death, The Straits Times reported.

Wang, an odd-job labourer, later dumped the body in a forested area near the end of Jalan Selimang in Sembawang.

The taxi was then driven to a multi-storey car park in Canberra Link and abandoned there.

Wang also took Mr Yuen's handphone, and when the cabby's wife called, he demanded $150,000 for her husband's safe return, although he was already dead.

Mr Yuen's decomposed body was found six days later. Wang was arrested at a travel agency in Chinatown on April 13, 2009, trying to collect a plane ticket to China.

During earlier hearings in March this year, Wang said that he had originally intended to rob a money changer, but gave up the idea as he saw a queue of taxis in front of the shop.

He later thought of a plan to rob a taxi, but being nervous and afraid, he did not flag down any cabs.

It was Mr Yuen instead who drove by and stopped to ask Wang where he wanted to go - a move which led to tragedy shortly.

From Asiaone, "Chinese national gets death sentence for cabby murder".

In sentencing a 32-year-old man to death for the murder of a taxi driver, a High Court judge said he found that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Chinese national Wang Wenfeng was yesterday found guilty of murdering Mr Yuen Swee Hong, 58, inside his taxi in April 2009.

Justice Lee Sieu Kin said: "... The accused's actions after the deceased had died are not inconsistent with the evidence that proves his guilt and they do not constitute any cause for reasonable doubt."

Justice Lee noted that Wang had even "tried to exploit the situation" that Mr Yuen's wife was in after murdering her husband.

During his trial earlier this year, the court heard that Wang had called Madam Chan Oi Lin, claiming that he had kidnapped Mr Yuen and demanded S$150,000 in ransom even though Wang had already killed the cabby and dumped his body in a forest.

Mr Yuen was killed in the early hours of April 11, 2009, in Jalan Selimang in Sembawang after a struggle with Wang in his taxi.

Wang had boarded Mr Yuen's taxi at Sun Plaza in Sembawang with the intention of robbing him.

The court had heard that the stab wounds Mr Yuen suffered were of such depth that they resulted in heavy bleeding and caused him to lose consciousness within a short time.

This showed that Wang "could only have done it with the intention to inflict that injury" and that injury "was sufficient in the ordinary course of nature to cause death", said Justice Lee.

During the murder trial, which was held between March and April, the High Court had also heard about the circumstances leading to the tragic event.

Wang, a labour agent who had been struggling to make ends meet in Singapore, had to leave the country by April 15 in 2009 after his work permit was cancelled.

He had tried borrowing the money for his flight ticket back to Fujian. When he asked his sister and his wife - who were both here - for money, they could not help him.

Thinking that robbing a cabby would help him get the money, Wang packed a fruit knife and a pair of cotton gloves in his haversack and walked to Sun Plaza in Sembawang.

But Wang got nervous and thought of abandoning his quest. He walked along the road without hailing any taxis when Mr Yuen drove past, stopped and reversed, and asked him where he wanted to go.

After Mr Yuen was killed, Wang drove his taxi to a multi-storey carpark, cleaned out the bloodstains there and left.

Wang was arrested when he turned up at the travel agency two days later (April 13) to collect his flight ticket which he had booked to leave Singapore on April 14.

From Today, "Cabby's murder: Chinese national gets death penalty".


Post a Comment

Blog Archive