George Yeo will not be the President, so why does the sun go on shining?!?!

...and why does the sea rush to shore? Yes, don't they know it's the end of the world? (Well, maybe not the world, but at least Singapore?!) It ended when I read how it's official that Mr George Yeo is not going to contest in the Presidential Election. Sad, but official. And alas, there's no possibility that he's being misquoted!

I'm re-reading at the following 3 posts with real (but getting slimmer) hope that Mr George Yeo is going to reconsider his decision.

- Presidential Amazing Race: The significance of 15 representatives for Mr George Yeo...and why it's encouraging that he runs for the Presidency

- George Yeo (of not being the next Singapore President): "Don't cry for me, Singapore!"

- Thank You Letter: Even NSP Nicole Seah echoed WP Pritam Singh's idea for George Yeo as the next President!!

PS. The title of this post is somewhat inspred by the song, "The End of the World".

The former Minister for Foreign Affairs posted a statement entitled 'To my dear Friends and Supporters' on his Facebook page on Wednesday evening, where he wrote that while many Singaporeans urged him to run for the position, it was a 'major step which I(he) could not rush into.'

He said: "After considering all factors, I have come to the conclusion that, in this phase of my life. I can better contribute to the Singapore we all love in other ways. I have therefore decided not to run for the Presidency this August."

Mr Yeo, whose People's Action Party (PAP) team lost the Aljunied GRC to the Workers' Party in the last General Election, realised that many Singaporeans may be disappointed with his decision, but asked for their understanding.

He also thanked his supporters, saying: "I would like to express my deep appreciation to all of you who believe in me and offered me your kind support."

Read his full post:

"Over the past few weeks, many Singaporeans have urged me to run for the Presidency. This is a major step which I could not rush into. I thought over it long and hard, consulting not only colleagues, friends and family members, but also taking in the advice and views which many of you conveyed to me in person, on FB, by mail and email, and through friends and relatives.

After considering all factors, I have come to the conclusion that, in this phase of my life, I can better contribute to the Singapore we all love in other ways. I have therefore decided not to run for the Presidency this August.

It is not a decision I take lightly. I know many of you will be disappointed but I ask for your understanding. I will continue to work with you to make Singapore a home rich in memories and full of hope for the future.

I would like to express my deep appreciation to all of you who believe in me and offered me your kind support."

The original statement can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/george-yeo/to-my-dear-friends-and-supporters/10150206077603616

From Asiasone, "George Yeo not running for President".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive